Monday, December 28, 2009

Blocks...

For the past two years that I have been working on this book I have found points where I seem to get stuck. Like a mental barrier stops me from proceeding further with the story. Some of these points are caused because I was unhappy with the way that the story was progressing. Other times I find that I am delaying from moving into the next section of the story. I think that my block now is more of the latter rather than the former.

I am pretty satisfied with the way that the story - this chapter specifically - is progressing. There have been points in the past when I forced my way through a chapter only to find where I was unhappy, find a resolution, then go back and rewrite the whole chapter. This point is not like that. The next chapter of the book will begin the climax of the story. I am nervous about rewriting that chapter. In the first draft the climatic chapter lasted for 20 something pages. I kept it all from the point of view of the main character, but there was so much happening that I think it needs to be done from various. I have an idea of how to do it - shifting the POV (point of view) from each of the characters involved. This will give me the ability to provide plot closure on each of the characters for this book. It will also set the reader up with the story lines to be carried over into the next book.

My fear is doing it justice.

There is so much that needs to happen and the climatic chapter(s) are what will snare the reader into wanting to read the next book. I think that as a writer you want the reader to WANT to come back for more. If you can snare the reader they will want to buy the next book. That demand will have the publishers wanting you to continue with the story. I have read somewhere that publishers are more likely to buy a story if there are sequeals planned. So much rides on the climatic chapter(s) that I have a tinge of fear to move into that area. But it has to be done. I have to move on. I have to do what needs to be done, trying my best as I move forward.

- Can you see that this is a pep talk to myself to get moving???

Well time to write. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment