Monday, February 8, 2010

Boredom

I am so bored at the moment. After spending two years working on the book I am at a loss to know what to do with my time. The book has been my security blanket for two years. A comforting environment I can escape to and pass the time. It has been fun to create the world of my imagination in words and prose. I have learned so much about writing and the artistry of writing. Now, sitting here and staring at the completed manuscript of the first book is surreal to me. I had never expected to get to this point. Even more to the point I had not expected to get a bite on the work as early as I have.

That's right. I got my first bite. I try like hell not to get too excited when I think about it. It's like a fisherman yanking on the rod before the fish has the bait. Pull to soon and the fish swishes away leaving the fisherman dispondent (see all the new words I have learned). I don't want to be like the fisherman to talk about the one that got away. If I don't read too much into the bite - I won't get too excited.

So here is what has happened. Last week I looked at some of the features that the WeBook website has to offer. One such feature is what they call AgentInABox. The idea is that you create a sample Query letter, fill out bio, synopsis, and work submissions. You then select agents you wish to submit your work to. Well, for the hell of it, I submitted Rabbit Slayer to 10 agents. The very next day I recieved an email from one of the agents. The agent said that though my genere was not her speciality she 'urged' me to submit my manuscript to a fellow agent. Okay - here is why I get excited.

First it was not a 'no' as I had also gotten that day from another agent. Secondly, agents do not request full manuscripts if they aren't going to read it - or if the sysnopsis is not intriguing. The website shows who has opened the mail and what areas of the submission that they have read. The site is showing that the agent has looked at the query and my sample (first chapter). So I got toes and fingers crossed hoping that it is because they want to really look more into me and my story.

Keep praying for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment